After months of campaigning and hard work from supporters and volunteers throughout the UK, The Big IF London G8 rally is now only one day away!
Tomorrow, tens of thousands of people will gather in Hyde Park to send a clear message to G8 leaders that we want them to take action to end the scandal of hunger.
One in eight people go to bed hungry each night. That’s equal to Europe, the USA, Canada, and Australia combined. Yet a shortage of food isn’t the problem. There is Enough Food For Everyone IF…
- we give enough aid to stop children dying from hunger, and help the poorest people feed themselves through investment in small farmers
- we force governments and big corporations to be honest and open about their actions that stop people getting enough food
- we stop big companies dodging taxes in poor countries, so that millions of people can free themselves from hunger
- we stop poor farmers being forced off their land, and use crops to feed people, not fuel cars
Check out this beautiful animation by artist and CAFOD supporter Sasha Langford and be inspired to help us work together to build a fairer food system.
The day starts at 11.30am with a special ecumenical service led by Archbishop Vincent Nichols at Westminster Central Hall. Doors for open at 10.30am and as there is limited space available we recommend arriving as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Following this, at around 1pm we will gather outside Westminster Central Hall to take part in a walk of witness through the streets of London to arrive in time for the main event in Hyde Park at 2pm. You can download a map of the route here or find an online version at http://goo.gl/maps/XBgT2. CAFOD Westminster supporters will be meeting on the green across from the hall – look out for banners with ‘CAFOD Westminster’ on them!
At the Hyde Park event, you’ll have the chance to take part in a number of activities, including helping to create a huge visual petition to demonstrate the scale of public support for the IF Campaign. There will also be a number of activities and special areas setup throughout Hyde Park, including a children’s area with professional story-tellers, dedicated areas for YouTubers and bloggers, and a ‘Make IF Happen’ area with busking, spoken word, and fun photo opportunities.
A number of celebrities and public figures are also going to be joining us in Hyde Park, including Bill Gates, former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, broadcaster Natasha Kaplinsky, Grammy award-winning singer Angelique Kidjo, and more! Gethin Jones and Myleene Klass will be hosting the day.
We would love to see you at any and every part of the day that you are able to attend. Please do make sure to register for the event online at http://www.cafod.org.uk/Campaign/Take-action-today/IF-CAFOD-G8-Rally-Sign-up so you’re up to date with all the events, celebrities and arrangements for tomorrow.
Public transport is the easiest way of getting to the Big IF G8 Rally. Visit Transport for London to plan your journey and to check for any line closures.
Westminster Central Hall is located opposite Westminster Abbey and is near to the Houses of Parliament (click here for a link to a map)
- Nearest Underground Station: Westminster (District, Circle, Jubilee lines), St James Park (District, Circle)
- Nearest Bus Stops:Routes 11, 24, 148, 211 stop in Victoria Street (Stops S and R towards Whitehall and T and V towards Victoria)Routes 3, 11, 12, 24, 53, 77A, 88, 159, 453 stop in Parliament Street/Whitehall (stops A and C towards Trafalgar Square outside the Treasury Building and F and G towards Parliament Square on the opposite side of the street)
- Nearest Underground Stations – Hyde Park Corner or Knightsbridge (Piccadilly), Green Park (Piccadilly, Victoria, Jubilee)
- Numerous buses serve the Hyde Park area
This is an outdoor event, so please come prepared, and don’t forget to check the weather forecast!
If you have any questions on transport for the Big IF G8 Rally, please do get in touch with CAFOD Westminster – 0208 449 6970 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even if you can’t make it on the day, you can still help to make a BIG difference for those without enough to eat by signing the IF action here, and spreading the word on social media. You can also sign and share the IF offline petition, which can be downloaded here.
If you are coming, share this with others ahead of time (or even on the day) with Facebook and Twitter! IF you’re tweeting, be sure to use the official Big IF Hashtag – #BigIF. You can even make sure your message reaches thousands by getting it on the Big IF big screen! To find out how, click here.
Make sure you’re a part of this historic event and join us as we work to show G8 leaders that we can put an end to hunger in our lifetime! Thank you for all your support so far and we hope to see you tomorrow!